Saturday, May 10, 2014

Transmission Mount

When doing the driveshaft rebuild I noticed that the transmission mount was quite perished and would need replacing. I ordered a new mount from AutoRicambi but found that the replacement was quite different from the one on my car.

The total length (longest dimensions) for my mount is only 4-5/8", whilst the AR mount is 5-1/2".
After a few trial fitments it became clear that this mount would just not work. The increased height brings the shifter extension housing too close to the transmission tunnel. 

So I did some research and Ramzi from AR explained that there were several sizes over the years and sent me the photo below.
I was determined to find the correct mount so I reluctantly called Vicks (as they listed it on their website) but they were out of stock of the shorter mount. InternationalAuto was the same story except they were waiting on an international shipment to arrive with no ETA as it needed to clear customs. I eventually found that Mr.Fiat had them in stock and so I paid their ridiculous price for one because I wanted to get the car on the road again without losing another weekend.

Here are the three mounts next to each other. From left to right; the old mount I took off the car, the new Mr.Fiat mount and lastly the AutoRicambi mount.
The photos may make it seem like my mount is shorter than the Mr.Fiat mount but they are so close its negligble.

Comparing the AutoRicambi mount with the MrFiat mount, the AR mount is obviously taller but is made of the same 1/4" thick steel as the original mount off my car. However, the actual rubber portion of the mount is very thin and can be easily flexed by hand. I bet I could tear it apart by hand. Whilst the MrFiat mount is made of a thinner 1/8" thick steel, the rubber portion is much beefier. It doesn't flex at all like the AR mount does.
And as you can see from the photo above (MrFiat left and AR right), there is quite a bit more rubber on the MrFiat mount compared to the AR mount.

So although I'm told that Fiat has superseded to a single size mount, if your car uses the shorter mount they are still available from a few vendors.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Vikram. Great write up! After measuring it seems that also for my car a taller tranmission mount would push the transmission against the body, so I would need a shorter mount as well. At the end of the day were you happy with the firmer rubber of the MrFiat mount, as in less driveline vibrations?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the MrFiat mount is a much better match to the original in every way. I sold the car many years ago but I don't remember having any issues after fitting it.

      Delete