Monday, July 28, 2014

Painting the Block

Got the engine block back from the machinist after he cleaned it up, honed the bores and replaced a couple of freeze plug (not sure why he didn't replace all of them). I used a wire wheel with an electric drill and knocked off the loose rust and then washed the block with light soapy water. I then used some wax & grease remover in preparation for paint but noticed that I was still getting rust dust from the block once it had dried so I did another cycle of wash and prep.

I used Duplicolor Engine Primer (DE1612) and then used Cast Coat Iron (DE1651). This is a decent alternative to the original colour which is a dark machine grey. Some of its faded remnants can still be seen in the photo below. I kept colour coating it until I ran out of paint. Which ended up being around 5 coats.

 
I will let it cure over night and then begin washing the block again in preparation for reassembly.

No comments:

Post a Comment